Monday, October 24, 2011

An Open "Thank You" Letter to Blogalicious!

This time last year, I didn't know what a blog or a blogger was.  Sure, if you'd asked if I blogged, I would have answered, "Yes, yes I blog?" Trust me the question mark is the appropriate punctuation.  I even added the title to my Facebook page, not realizing I was about to enter a world that would change mine.


This time last year, a friend asked if I'd be interested in attending a conference in Miami that just might help me in my writing and selling of books.  Anything to help me unload the remaining 2500 copies of my critically acclaimed novel, sounded great so I agreed and I attended.  For when I returned, I planned to shut my business down.  It was too much and I couldn't do it anymore.  After this conference, this would be my last hurrah in the business world, I'd given it the good "old college try".  I thought to myself.


I schlepped as many books as I could, hoping to make a dent in my inventory.  I had some old business cards with outdated information.  I'd written all over several cards, the undocumented changes in my life; new numbers, addresses and email.  Yes, hot mess!

I may have entered the room a hot mess but I exited the room feeling empowered and connected!  In this room sat more than three hundred women at a conference poignantly named Blogalicious,  a multi-cultural celebration of Global Connectivity.  I was welcomed and embraced. 

Over a four-day period, I watched, met and learned about the "Blogasphere" and how Social Media, the wave of the future, would connect me to people around the globe.  These global connections would be with primarily women who have similar interests and love for a plethora of topics, ideas and experiences.  I would be forever connected to these women who would connect me to the globe, harnessing magnanimous influence, all due to some of the most dynamic women on the planet, @MamaLaw  @BeBlogalicious @JusticeFergie @JusticeNy.

A year later, I'm part of a dynamic duo, @GirlTD sharing our love for the hit television show, The Game through lifestyle, fashion & relationship blogging.  I run a successful Wine Consultant business as a Wine Enthusiast and on January 15, 2012 my third novel, Here We Grow Again will be released by my thriving publishing house, Epiphany Publishing House, LLC along with several other publications by me and other up and coming authors. 

Incidentally, I didn't sell one book last year but I walked away from the conference having received so much more.  This year I learned how to and the value of serving from the front of the room and for this Justice Fergie, Justice Ny and your incredible support team, I Thank You!

Thank You Blogalicious!  Thank You for influencing the Planet!

With Love,

Toni Staton Harris
@winewithtoni @tonistatonharis @girl_td

3 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you! This was a great post. I think everyone gains something from this conference. I look forward to seeing you at the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post. It definitely was a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for rocking the party and getting every one all worked up on the dance floor! It was great to talk about media representation and women of color
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odiUtXymlVs

    Hope to see you soon!

    AnacostiaYogi
    www.anacostiayoga.com

    ReplyDelete