Thursday, July 31, 2014

Take Inventory OF Your Wealth

A wonderful evening with a good friend after seeing Think Like A Man 2, appetizers and adult beverages, culminated with a deep discussion about work and purpose.  By the way, the movie was delightful. 

Think Like A Man 2


This friend has worked in Corporate for twenty-plus years.  Recently she was blessed, when her request to take a rest from Corporate America was granted.  Married, with no children, owns her own home with a low mortgage, no car note and an Executive for a husband, my friend fretted the end of her vacation.  She was down on herself about needing to do something, to get back to work.  She spoke of how although she worked grueling hours for so long, she felt guilty about not going back to work and/or getting her resume together.

I listened intently and thought of my situation.  Often God gives us what we ask for and what we need.  It doesn't always look like what we expect it to look like. 

At this writing, for almost fifteen years, I popped Coca-Cola cans, instructed safety measures through countless announcements, pushed a four-hundred pound cart while balancing to make sure hot coffee ended up in your cup and not on your lap.  Year fourteen, I was tired. 

I looked to God and asked for a break.  I need a break.  I need to get up and not worry about runs in my stockings, applying make-up, perfume and readying myself to exist in five different climates and six different time zones in four days.  Don't get me wrong.  As a Flight Attendant, I've experienced some of the greatest times and situations in my life.  However, I know I wasn't put on Earth, to only be a Flight Attendant.  I am purposed to write.

So I asked God.  May I write?  When will I have the chance to get up in the morning and my deadline come from having to turn in my script and/or novel opposed to making a show time at the airport?

HE gave it to me.  Time.  Maybe not in the way I asked or how I would have expected--nothing like battling Cancer to make you sit down.

But more than Cancer I received the Blessing of Time.  My wealth is in my time. 

I write every day.  I write on one or more of three original pilots.  I am finishing my third novel, fourth book.  I write on one or more of two Spec scripts.  I journal.  I write monologues and I write this blog.  I don't do everything simultaneously.  However, every day I write something.  Not because I have to but because I can not not write, and my wealth is in my time. 

A friend once told me...."You can always make more money, you can't make more time..."

So to my friend as she wonders what she'll do as she maps out her new life in this year of respite;  take time to figure out what you want to do while you have the time to figure it out.  You may or may not land on the first, second or third venture.  But for now you have time.  Cherish it.  Take inventory of your wealth....

This is Toni Staton Harris Checkin' Up and Checkin' In on what you value.  Are you taking inventory of your true wealth?

No comments:

Post a Comment